Saturday, January 17, 2009

Enter The Dragon In Me

I will be staying 3 months in Beijing with my relatives in China. Sounds like the worst case scenario? Well, in practice it's certainly not. The Chinese are very nice toward a foreigner as is the Chinese custom. I mean, after all, this is the country that was in war against Japan, and how did the Chinese treat the Japanese prisoners-of-war? Well, they let their own boys go without water, while they made sure their prisoners lived in relative luxury. All I'm saying, I like it here in the "Northern Capital"!

Weather might be as cold as where I hail from, somewhere there under the Northern sky, but the people sure ain't that cold here. Beijing is after all at the same horizontal axis with Rome, and here the food plays as integral part in people's lifes as it does in the City of Twin Wolves (in Rome everyone must have a wolf of their own to take to the ancient parks). If you want to connect with the Beijingers, food topic is the way go.

And I sure like eating here, they've got everything a Westerner can hope for, plus an endless assortment of their own food. Right now my favorite is a big bowl of noodles for about one dollar in a street noodle joint, popular among the locals, especially among the workers. My favorite snack is something they sell on a street for 30 US cents. Only thing they don't have is a large enough selection of ice cream except in the summer season, and they don't have frozen pizza in every hypermarket. Oh, plus they don't have chocolate pudding in hypermarket, only some stuff with cheese in it.

(to post a comment to this blog without giving your email, please use my sister site at http://www.peking.suntuubi.com/ Just leave all the fields blank)

No comments:

Post a Comment